How to lose weight healthily
With the media we have today, it's no surprise that so many people feel the need to lose weight. So, in this article I'll be sharing the healthiest ways to do just that.
* Have smaller portions. This is one of the easiest ways to cut down on calories. Just simply cook less, or if you're prone to cook too much, you could always freeze whatever is left and have it another day.
* Drink water. As someone who doesn't particularly like water, I know this one can be hard. But it's ultimately an important thing to do. Substitute fizzy drinks with something healthier. Water is the best choice but for those who are like me, fruit tea is another good alternative. Try to stay away from fruit juices (unless its a brand such as Innocent or Naked) because they can contain a lot of sugar.
* Exercise. Exercising is important in the road to losing weight. Start off with once or twice a week, and gradually increase the amount of exercise you do. If the sound of going to the gym doesn't appeal to you, there are plenty of other alternatives. For example, running, swimming and dancing. Kick-boxing is also another good (and fun) way to lose weight.
* Don't over-do it. A risk of trying to lose weight is that some people go too far. They begin to skip meals or over-exercise. This is not healthy. Skipping meals puts your body into starvation mode and actually causes it to store fat, which will make it harder to get rid of in the long run. Over-exercising can not only cause you to be constantly tired, but can lead to several eating disorders if you're also not eating enough.
* Reward yourself. Just because you're trying to lose weight, doesn't mean you have to cut out everything. Reward yourself with some fast food or an unhealthy snack every now and then.
* Cook your own meals- avoid weight loss companies. Cook your own meals instead of buying them from "healthy" companies. These meals aren't always great and after you've lost the weight, its very easy to put it back on. By cooking things yourself, you can control what goes inside your body.
* Use smaller plates. If you're struggling with eating less, invest in some smaller plates. This way you will trick your brain into thinking its eating more.
* Plan your meals! This is something my family has always done, and it genuinely works. If you have a list of meals to buy for, you're more likely to stick to them.
* Don't buy = don't eat. If you're prone to snack on unhealthy things, simply don't buy them. Avoid the unhealthy aisles. If it's not in the house, you can't eat it.
* Use healthier alternatives. For example, Quorn products are a lot healthier than most meats. Another easy switch is using wholegrain versions of bread, rice and pasta. Swapping cheesy sauces for tomato-based ones and swapping whole milk to semi-skimmed (or soya/almond milk!) are also good places to start.
* Eat more fruit and vegetables. I know just those words can make people shudder, but hear me out. Fruit and vegetables are the best things to put in your body. They're full of vitamins and overall good stuff. Challenge yourself to try a new fruit or vegetable every week, you'll soon find something you love!
* Yoga. I was going to add this under the exercise section, but I feel like it deserves its own point. Yoga is both good for the body and soul. Just 20-30 minutes a day can make a difference - to both your body and yourself. Not only does it help you lose weight, but it tones muscles and increases your flexibility which helps when doing other exercises. So if you haven't tried it, I really recommend yoga.
I hope some of these points help you if you're wanting to lose weight. But remember that you are all unique and you are all beautiful regardless of your body. Nevertheless, good luck!
Yes!! I totally agree with everything you've said. I find that reducing portion sizes and having healthier snacks between meals are the most helpful for me. Definitely far better than calorie counting or skipping meals. I love that you remind us it's also healthy to eat, so long as what you're eating is healthy. And I appreciate you take mental health into the question as well. Thank you, this has helped me!! x
This has actually helped me a lot! I am aiming to lose weight but I wasn't sure on how to start it and reading this has helped me understand how to do it step by step!
Leave a Reply.
The articles here are written by guest writers or previous TWE members.